Home | Version française
 
Chargement
You are here : Homepage » Informations search » Territories and infrastructures » Départements » Manche » Manche (Démographie)

Contact
EVE direct

If you can't find the information
you are looking for ?
Contact us

Manche (Demographics)

  Ajouter au panier

509,952 inhabitants in 2009
An essentially rural department: 86 inhabitants/km2
52% of the population lives in rural communes
Demographic vitality around towns and villages
Demographic expansion on the west coast
(from Barneville-Carteret to Carolles)



AN AVERAGE-SIZED DEPARTMENT THAT REMAINS ESSENTIALLY RURAL

Manche was home to 509,952 inhabitants in 2009 (33.8% of Normandy's total population), with 5,938km2.
In 2006, the under 20 age group represented 24.1% of overall population, the 20 to 59 year group represented 51.5% and the over 60s, 24.5%.

Population density is 86 inhabitants/km2. Manche's coastal towns (density 165) are, on average, 2.5 times more densely populated than those situated further inland (density 63). Unsurprisingly, the highest population density is observed in urban centres and their outskirts, together with the west coast (from Gouville-sur–Mer to Saint-Jean-le-Thomas), whilst the lowest densities can be found in the rural areas of the Mortanais district, the bocage and the central region, the Cotentin marshlands and in the plains.


Rural communes reunite over half of Manche's population (52%) whilst urban areas reunite the remaining 48%.


Manche comprises twenty urban units, four of which exceed 10,000 inhabitants: Cherbourg is the most important with 890,392 inhabitants; then comes Saint-Lô with 26,072 inhabitants; then Granville (19,640) and Avranches (18,986). These four towns reunite almost two thirds of the department's urban population and a third of the department's total population.


No town or village is a long distance from most of the services provided by the department's highly dense service network.
The department's urban framework is essentially formed of a dense network of small towns and large boroughs participating, through the services and employment market they provide, towards sustaining the region. This dense system of small towns and large boroughs can occasionally be observed in certain cantons, within which, two urban centres of similar dimension can be seen to dispute cantonal supremacy.


Demographic expansion on the west coast: this area has proved to be highly attractive, particularly for retirement. The department's economic development (increased tourism and services to individuals, development of shellfish farming and of the Soleco site in Lessay...) has also contributed to attracting working couples with children.





  • POPULATION PAR AGE EN 2007 DANS LA MANCHE
  • PECHE A PIED
  • JEUNES POSANT DEVANT INTECHMER A TOURLAVILLE
  • PAPILLONS DE NUIT 2010
  • BALADE A PIED EN FAMILLE